Four States with Specific Weight Distance Permits | Apex Capital Blog

Four States with Additional Registration Requirements for Truckers

by Apex Capital | November 21, 2016

If you plan to start a trucking company that will run through Kentucky, New Mexico, New York, or Oregon, or if your current company plans to haul through these states, you’ll need specific weight distance permits.

If you plan to haul through these states on a regular basis, you’ll likely want to complete these registration processes. However, there are less cumbersome trip permitting processes in place for more limited travel in each state.

In this post, our team of transportation specialists from the Apex Startup Program explains how the additional registrations work.

State Specific Weight Distance Permits

New York Highway Use Tax

New York imposes the Highway Use Tax (HUT) on any motor carrier using New York highways with a gross vehicle weight over 18,000 pounds. These carriers are required to register and obtain a New York HUT certificate and decal. To register, fill out Form TMT-1 or use their online registration system

Because of a court ruling in January 2016, carriers pay a greatly reduced registration fee and decal fee, but carriers still must pay their full highway use tax. Quarterly highway use tax returns may be filed either by mail on online

New Mexico Weight Distance Tax

If you’re hauling through New Mexico and operate a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds, you’ll need to register and pay the New Mexico Weight Distance Tax. Every quarter you’ll need to file and pay the appropriate taxes to the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division, which can be done electronically at

Kentucky Highway Use Tax

Any carrier traveling through Kentucky with a declared vehicle weight equal to or greater than 60,000 pounds is required to register for the Kentucky Highway Use Tax (KYU). To register, complete the Kentucky Trucking Application form TC 95-1 available online at You can also file your quarterly taxes online by registering for the KYU E-File Application.

Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identified Receipt

When hauling through Oregon with a vehicle having a combined weight over 26,000 pounds, you’ll need to fill out Form 735-9076 to get your Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier Receipt. You’ll also be required to have a bond on file with the Oregon Department of Transportation starting at $2,000. Most motor carriers are required to report mileage tax on a monthly basis by the last day of the following month. You can access online services at

Tax Filing Process

The taxes due will typically depend on your truck’s weight and how many miles you traveled in each specific state. You’ll already have the miles traveled in each state reflected in your quarterly IFTA filing. Generally, taxes are due on the last day of the month following the end of the quarter.

  • Q1 (January-March): April 30
  • Q2 (April-June): July 31
  • Q3 (July-September): October 31
  • Q4 (October-December): Janua31

Apex Can Help File State Specific Permits and More

Do you want to start a trucking company but the process seems confusing? Let the transportation specialists from the Apex Startup Program guide you through the process of getting your own authority and form a business entity (LLC) in your home state. We’re with you every step of the way.

We complete and file all the paperwork for you and also send you a Record Book with the important documents you’ll need to run your trucking company.

If you want to start your own trucking company, give us a call at 844-827-4524. To learn more about what to expect in your first year of trucking, download our free white paper and subscribe to our channel on YouTube.




Thank you for subscribing!

Apex Capital