Skip to main content

What’s the Difference Between the URS and UCR?

Client Image

We recently posted about the new changes to the Unified Registration System (URS). There’s still some confusion over the difference between the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) and the Unified Registration System (URS), so we’re going to break down the difference and explain what these changes mean for you.

Are URS and UCR the same thing?

No. The Unified Registration System (URS) is the FMCSA’s new electronic on-line system where carriers, freight forwarders and brokers register and update their information with the FMCSA.

The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is not a part of the FMCSA and is a registration for carriers, freight forwarders and brokers who operate in interstate commerce.

Who uses the Unified Registration System (URS)?

Everyone! If you’re starting a trucking company and applying for your own authority you’ll need to use the new URS system portal to register and get your USDOT number.

Then, on September 30, 2016, the site will be ready for information updates, so all current motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, intermodal equipment providers, and cargo tank manufacturing and repair facilities need to use the URS for updates. After September 30, 2016, the FMCSA will not accept applications by fax or mail, so it’s important to have a URS portal account setup before this deadline to stay compliant.

How much does using the Unified Registration System cost?

If you’re applying for your own authority, previously there was no fee to get a USDOT number, but the application to get a MC number was $300. Now that the URS is combining the two forms, and because MC numbers will eventually be eliminated, you’ll have to pay a $300 fee to file the new MCSA-1 to get your authority. For more information on this change, visit the FMCSA website.

Who needs a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?

If you’re a carrier, freight forwarder, broker or leasing company who operates in interstate commerce, you’ll need to register and renew your registration annually on the Unified Carrier Registration portal. The UCR collects and distributes registration information and fees from 41 states.

How much does the Unified Carrier Registration cost?

UCR renewal rates depend on your business classification. Brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies pay the lowest registration fee tier. If you’re a carrier, your renewal fee is based off of how many trucks you have listed on your USDOT, starting around $76.

UCR Renewal Rates

January 2018 Update: The UCR Renewal Rates have been lowered for 2018 and 2019. The following are the posted renewal rates for 2018 only.

$69* for 0 to 2 Vehicles
$206* for 3 to 5 Vehicles
$410* for 6 to 20 Vehicles
$1,431* for 21 to 100 Vehicles
$6,820* for 101 to 1,000 Vehicles
$66,597* for 1,001 or more Vehicles

*additional fees may apply

When Do I Need to Renew my UCR Registration?

You should renew your UCR registration annually by December 31 for registration in the following year. You can register and pay your UCR renewal fee beginning on October 1st every year.

You can process and pay for your annual UCR filing by going online to or contact Apex today at 1-855-347-2739.

We hope this clears up the differences between the Unified Registration System (URS) and Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). For more information, check out the FMCSA website.

Get Started with Apex

If you’re starting your own trucking company, we can help you take care of all of this! Apex is one of the few companies that helps you form your trucking company and apply for your operating authority through our Startup Program.

We help you form a business entity (LLC) in your home state. Then, we complete and file all the paperwork for you, including your BOC-3. We also send you a Record Book with the important documents you need to run your trucking company.

Call us at 844-827-4524 or apply now to get started!