Learn easy-to-use tips to reduce stress
Being a truck driver can be stressful. You deal with traffic, other drivers, road construction, being away from home, loading and unloading delays, truck maintenance, and all those ever-changing regulations! So, what can you do to deal with all that stress?
First, let’s take a look at stress. It can affect you in ways that are both good and bad for you.
Good stress can cause:
- Increased levels of motivation
- Higher levels of energy
- Increased mental alertness
Long-term, extreme stress can lead to personal and professional difficulties like:
- Physical health problems, including:
- Muscle pain
- Chest pain
- Sleep problems
- Upset stomach
It’s important to manage your stress to maintain overall health. The next time you feel stressed, try using these tips.
- Deep breathing (Take deep, long breaths.)
- Progressive muscle relaxation (Relax your muscles by tensing a muscle group, like your neck and shoulders, and then releasing it.)
- Visualizing something you enjoy
- Doing something you enjoy (i.e. music, talk radio)
- Meditation (Focus on your breath as you inhale and exhale.)
- Positive self-talk (“I’ll be ok. Things aren’t as bad as they seem.”)
- Counting to 10
- Focusing on what is in your control (Concentrate on your attitude and actions. Don’t waste energy on the past or other’s opinions and actions.)
- Awareness or mindfulness (Pay attention to what you are thinking and how you are feeling.)
Put it into practice
Let’s say you’re sitting in traffic, and you know you have to be at your next delivery by a certain time. Rather than sit and stress about all the things that may be going wrong, try taking a few deep breaths and telling yourself, “I’m doing what I can to get there on time.” Call the person that’s expecting you and let them know you’re stuck in traffic. Turn on your favorite music, talk radio, or an Apex podcast, and focus on enjoying what you’re listening to, rather than stressing about something that’s not within your control.
By dealing with stress in a healthy way, you can manage your stress level, relax and maintain good mental health.
Does your cash flow situation have you stressed out? When you factor freight invoices with Apex, you can get paid in as little as a few hours, so you don’t have to worry.
Call us today at 855-369-2739.