Tips for Truckers to Ease Boredom and Stress on the Road
by Lauren Barrett | November 29, 2016
By: Lauren Barrett, EdD, LPC
As a truck driver, youâve got a lot on your mind. Youâre probably thinking about getting your load delivered on time, the traffic, road construction, or where to stop to fuel, eat, or use the restroom. You also might be missing your family or thinking about other things youâd rather be doing. Did you know that mindful meditation can help you beat stress or boredom on the road?
What is mindful meditation?
Meditation has been around for centuries. It simply means to focus your mind and give attention or deep thought to something, such as a challenge, goal, or simply for relaxation.
Mindfulness is an approach to meditation that involves non-judgmental awareness in the present moment. Mindful meditation allows us to reduce stress, be aware of ourselves in the moment, help process information, regulate our emotions, and focus our attention.
So how can you use mindful meditation while youâre on the road? Try these quick tips!
- Sit comfortably with your back straight
- Take an inhale as you count slowly
- Exhale as you count slowly
Focus on what you can actually control â yourself:
- Try not to spend time and energy worrying about things that you have no control over (i.e. traffic, other drivers)
Visualize a place where you feel at peace:
- Maybe itâs a tropical beach, a lakeside retreat, or a favorite childhood spot
- Allow yourself to relax and use your imagination
Come up with a power phrase (or mantra) to repeat in times of stress:
- âI got thisâ
- âTake it easyâ
- âItâs not the end of the worldâ
- âLet it beâ
- âEven though Iâm stressed, Iâm okâ
Use your senses to notice the world around you, without judgment:
- What do you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch?
- As you pay attention to what is around you, try not to make evaluations about what youâre sensing
By using mindful meditation when youâre on the road, you can deal with stress in a healthy way, relax, and maintain good mental health.
Does your cash flow situation have you stressed out? When you factor freight invoices with Apex, you can get paid in as little as a few hours, so you donât have to worry. We even have fuel discounts, a free load board, and more advantages to save you money. Call us today at 855-369-2739 or get started here.