Sleep Tips for Truck Drivers: Better Sleep on the Road
by Apex Capital | July 12, 2016
If we could go back in time and tell ourselves just how great sleep is, we wouldâve happily taken those naps when we were little. As adults, getting good sleep can get a lot tougher. As a truck driver, you spend hours on the road under tight deadlines, so getting quality sleep can be tough.
Without enough sleep you can develop health problems. Hereâs why itâs so important to get good sleep and how you can be well-rested before you hit the road.
How Sleep Affects Your Health
Getting good sleep is just as important as eating right and exercising. When you sleep, your body repairs itself and gets you ready for a new day.
Without this recharge, you could experience:
- Slower reaction times. Definitely not good when youâre behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound truck! This could mean the difference between stopping on time to avoid a car in front of you or a serious accident.
- A cloudy mind or a bad mood.
- A weakened immune system. If your body is unable to repair itself, you could increase your risk for developing infections, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- An increased appetite, which can lead to overeating and even obesity.
How to Get Good Sleep on the Road
So how can you make sure youâre well-rested and ready to drive? Creating a relaxing bedtime routine and having a quiet and peaceful environment can improve your sleep.
Try these tips for a restful nightâs sleep the next time you head to bed.
- Park your truck in an area that has quiet and safety in mind.
- Block out all light. Close your curtains and truck shades, or use an eye mask.
- Use earplugs or a âwhite noiseâ machine like a fan to block out noises. Put your phone on âdo not disturbâ or set your phone to ring only for important contacts to minimize distractions.
- Keep your cab or bedroom at a temperature thatâs comfortable for you.
- Invest in a comfortable mattress and pillow. Consider upgrading or replacing the mattress in your sleeper if it is old or uncomfortable.
Thanks to our friends from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Higginbotham for the restful tips. Hopefully youâll find a restful nightâs sleep is as easy as closing your eyes.
Does cash flow keep you up at night? Let us show you how our factoring services, fuel card program, free load board and other advantages can help you keep more money in your trucking company. To get in touch with Apex Capital, call 1-855-369-2739 or get started here.